TEENAGE BASEBALL FAQ
What is Junior and Senior Baseball?
- The Junior Division was designed primarily for (12–15)-year-old Players preparing for high school baseball. (12) year-old Players may play on a Juniors provided their skill level is deemed acceptable by the Managers at the Evaluations.
- The Senior Division was designed primary for (13-16) year-old Players.
Is there another option if I feel that my (12-13) year-old Player is not ready for Juniors or is looking for potentially extra Baseball?
- Yes. Little League International has an Intermediate Baseball Division.
- The Intermediate Division plays on a slightly smaller field than Juniors (50' Pitching vs 60' Pitching and 70' Bases vs 90' Bases)
- Same rules apply for both Intermediate and Juniors
- A Player who is between (12-13) year-old, may register for both Intermediate and Juniors
Where do I register for Intermediate Baseball?
If you are interested in playing Intermediate baseball you can register at Frederick National, East Frederick, or Frederick American Little League website depending on your residency and school.
- Frederick National Little League - www.fredericknational.org
- East Frederick Little League - efllbaseball.com
- Frederick American Little League - www.frederickamerican.org
Why did Little League create Junior and Senior Baseball?
The Junior Division was formed by Little League International to
The Senior Division was formed by Little League International to
- Provide a quality option for those players who have “aged out” of Majors and wish to continue playing.
- Provide additional competitive Baseball opportunities especially after the High School Season.
What are the field dimensions?
The pitching distance for both Juniors and Seniors is 60 feet 6 inches (versus 40 feet for Majors). Base paths 90 feet for (versus 60 feet for Majors)
What are the rule differences between the Majors and Junior/Senior Divisions?
Base runners are allowed to lead off and to steal at any time (they do not need to wait for the ball to cross the plate). In addition, pitchers and catchers may attempt to pick off a base runner who has led off too far. This makes the game much closer to what players see on TV.
Also, Players may wear 'Spikes' instead of Cleats and headfirst slides are allowed?
How many teams does the League expect to field?
Frederick Jr/Sr will look to field as many teams as possible in both Junior and Senior Divisions. The final number will depend on the number of players who register and the number of coaches who are recruited. In the past several years Frederick has fielded between 4-5 Teams.
Are players required to try out?
All NEW players aging into the Junior Div. must attend an evaluation to be draft-eligible. Evaluations will take place in early March. All Players who register shall be placed on a Team with the only exception being for (12) year-olds. (12) year-olds must demonstrate sufficient skill to the evaluating Managers, to be deemed not to be a safety risk.
When does the season begin and finish?
The regular season runs from March to June.
Where will games and practices take place?
Junior and Senior teams will play at McCurdy Field, Tuscarora HS, Thomas Johnson HS, as well as other City and County fields as available.
Who do Frederick teams play against?
Junior and Senior teams will play primarily against teams throughout MD District 2.
- Brunswick LL (Typically 2 Teams)
- Montgomery County LL (Typically 4 Teams)
- Four County LL (Typically 1 Team)
As well as teams from MD District 1 and PA District 14:
- South County LL
- Conococheague LL
- Maughansville LL
How much does the program cost?
The cost is $225 dollars for the season. Compared to travel ball this is a quality option at a very affordable price.
Will there be Junior and Senior Division Tournament (All-Star) Team?
If there is sufficient interest by players to form a tournament team, Yes. Junior and Senior tournament teams could have the opportunity to play and advance all the way to the National Tournament Level!
If you have additional questions, please contact Jon Wagner at [email protected]